In case of products, services promotion, and marketing digital marketing is a common word. The Internet revolution brings dramatic changes in the marketing world. In this case, digital marketing is the main game changer. So, what is digital marketing? Digital marketing refers to advertising of products, services through digital channels such as social media, search engine, website, email, SMS.
In digital marketing, marketers use many assets and techniques to get the best return on investment(ROI). Some of the most common assets are:
- Blog posts
- Social media channels(Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram)
- Branding assets(logos, fonts, etc)
- Earned online coverage
Tactics in digital marketing:
Search engine optimization (SEO): According to MOZ definition” Search engine optimization (SEO) is the practice of increasing the quantity and quality of traffic to your website through organic search engine results.” Researchers have found that people do not go second or third page of google search result. Often time they click on the first four results. So SEO is one of the best effective techniques used in digital marketing to get more organic traffic to websites.
Content Marketing: Content marketing is a marketing technique used to attract, educate and finally acquire a clearly defined audience. This technique is accomplished by creating high-quality, relevant content. This technique is not promotional in nature. But this strategy generates brand awareness. For example, in Lifebuoys television commercial that targets young school children, the emphasis given to washing hands before eating meals. Here the company is not directly promoting Lifebuoy soap. Rather, they are educating school kids that washing hands before meals is a healthy practice.
Inbound Marketing: Inbound marketing is a process of attracting people attention towards your company’s products and services by delivering high quality, relevant content. By publishing content relevant to customers’ interest, you can eventually convert them into your customers and finally promoters of your business.
Social media marketing: This is a process of promoting your products and services through social media channels to increase brand awareness, drive traffic, generate leads for your business.
Pay-per-click (PPC): Pay per click is an Internet marketing model in which advertisers need to pay a fee to publishers every time one of their ads is clicked. It is a way of directing more traffic to websites. One of the most commonly used PPC is Google AdWords.
Affiliate Marketing: It is a type of marketing arrangements where an external website refers traffic to a retailer website; thereby helping the retailer site in traffic and sales generation. In return, the retailer pays commission to the referral site.
What are the main benefits of Digital marketing
Calculate accurate result in real time: One of the main benefits of digital marketing is you can accurately calculate the outcome of this marketing approach in real time. But it is not possible in traditional offline marketing. For example, if you publish an advertisement on newspaper you can never calculate how many people see your ad and pay attention to it. In case of digital marketing, you can precisely calculate ROI( return on investment). Here are a few examples:
Website traffic: With digital marketing, you can see the exact number of people who have visited your site. Google analytics repot will show you from which geographic location people come to your site, what device they use, how long they stay on your page, what digital channels drive them to your site, which post or page they visit most, There are many other useful information, From this report you can clearly see which digital medium is working best for you, For example, if you see that you are not getting much traffic from search engine result page that means you need to give emphasis on SEO.
Generating leads by content: In traditional offline marketing marketers create product brochure and send peoples inbox. In this approach, marketers never know how many people actually open the brochure and see product details.
However, in case of digital marketing, the same brochure is hosted on a website. The advantage of it is you can calculate how many people viewed your content from the analytics report. In addition, you can get detail information about people who download your brochure from the form that they fill out during download. You can identify quality leads from data collected in this way.
What are the challenges in digital marketing?
As the prospect of digital marketing is many so is challenges.We have discussed 5 major challenges in digital marketing below:
- Getting new clients and retaining them: A business will not survive if it failed to get new clients. The problem is today’s clients are more demanding than ever. Consequently, convincing them is difficult. Another point is there are so many digital agencies in the market. Each of them hunts new clients with their own business strategy. So competition is fierce. In this scenario, getting new clients are difficult. But more challenging is retaining clients. You may manage a new client by writing an excellent review of products. But make him a repeated customer is an uphill task. It is because clients mind changes rapidly.
- Measuring success: Many small business leaders do not know whether their digital marketing strategy is working. There are two reasons behind this. One is they do not set their business goals at the start of their digital marketing campaign. Often time what happens is small business people jump into digital marketing hurriedly. They do it because they see that other people are doing the same thing. But they do not have an iota of an idea how to set goals in digital marketing. The other reason is small business cannot identify key performance indicators that are relevant to their business.
- Budget constraints: Companies do not spend much money on digital marketing. Because they are skeptic about the success of this new business approach. Many still prefer television commercial than a Facebook Ad campaign. So digital marketers work with a tight budget.
- Managing clients expectation: This is another big challenge for digital marketers.It is because of their lack of understanding of what is digital marketing? In most case, clients do not understand the digital marketing process. Their vision does not match with marketers vision. All most all clients think that their products, services are the best among others. So why not they will beat other business in terms of sale and revenue earnings by the digital marketing approach? But real marketers know how difficult it is to beat other competitors in the market.
How long it takes to see results in digital marketing
Compare to traditional marketing getting results in digital marketing is relatively less. Because in digital marketing you can calculate return on investment easily and quickly.
But it depends on digital marketing strategy. If your strategy is first identifying the audience, understand their needs and make quality content to attract and convert them, it will take approximately 6 months to get the result. However, in such case, your ROI will also higher.
Digital marketing is utilizing digital technology to achieve the marketing objective. Companies can get benefit from both digital and traditional marketing. Both approaches have features that are mutually beneficial to companies business strategy. So business should try to reap maximum benefit from both approaches.